Friday, March 2, 2012

Joining Hayden

Wow, I kind of feel like we are getting back to some normalcy.  The month of February was rough on us.  Early in the month we had nasty colds.  Later in the month we had the stomach flu. Then my Dad had emergent open heart surgery last week.  I am happy to report that everyone is doing well and my Dad is recovering well.

One of the main principles of The Son-Rise Program is joining Hayden in what he enjoys as a way to connect with him.  The majority of people with autism have something called a "stim" or "isim".  The stim or isim is the repetitive motion that they do over and over again.  Hayden's isims have changed with time.  When Hayden has 2 he lined his cars up in a perfectly straight alined line and spined the wheels on the cars.  When Hayden is isiming he is in his own world and he is getting pleasure from the motion / action.  So this is where the joining comes in.

Tonight at the pool Hayden was spinning in circles in the water.  He was having so much fun, but very much in his own world having no clue what is going on around him.  A boy that was about 9 years old asked me what he was doing.  I simply said, "spinning in the water."  I told him it was fun and that he should try it.  So the little boy did.  Hayden noticed him right away and smiled very big at the little boy.  The little boy smiled back at Hayden and said, "Yep, that is fun."

Little did that boy know that he was joining Hayden.  When we join Hayden with his isims is truly is fun. I have learned to let go and be in the moment.  It is one amazing way to connect with my son.  Oddly enough the more we join Hayden the less he isims.

There are many people out there that think you should stop the isim.  I can't even imagine doing that to Hayden.  He is doing that motion for a purpose.  Who am I to say that he shouldn't spin or flap his hands. It feels good to him, it clams him.  If someone took my coffee away from and I said I couldn't have it anymore I can't even imagine my reaction.  I don't think I would want to be friends with that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment