Friday, August 3, 2012

Oh, The Dentist and the journey we had :)

Wow, what a crazy couple of weeks we have had in the Hicks residence.  I am happy to report that Hayden made it through his oral surgery with flying colors.

We have been to 3 different dentists to find one that I trusted to work on Hayden.  The pediatric dentist that we choose is in Indianapolis and consulted with a biological dentist to order the proper labs, and materials for Hayden's fillings.  We had Hayden's blood drawn about 10 weeks ago to test and see what material is most compatible with his body to use for fillings.  Typical composite fillings contain BPA and agleam fillings are 50% mercury.  Those are both materials that I would give my last breath to keep out of Hayden's body.

The day of the surgery had come and we traveled 2.5 hours to get to the children's hospital that the procedure would take place at.  I had been preparing Hayden by talking about getting his teeth fixed and meeting new friends at the hospital.  When we got to the hospital Hayden was a little un-easy.  He remained calm, walked in the hospital and sat with Daddy as I got our registration papers processed.

It was time for us to go back to pre-op and Hayden walked right back with the slightest wimpier.  I think he feared having his blood drawn and I reassured him that there were no needles this time.  During Hayden's pre-op work up Hayden let the nurse check all of his vital signs, weigh him, measure him, and talk to him.  Hayden even gave her great eye contact and answered questions she had for him.

The dentist came in and talked with us for a good 40 minutes prior to the surgery.  Hayden commented on the surgical hat the dentist was wearing.  The dentist then offered to take Hayden to get a hat for him.  Hayden actually walked right out of the room with him to get a hat. I was SHOCKED!!

The time had come and I got to walk Hayden back to the operating room.  He got a little upset when we got into the operating room and super upset when I laid him on the operating table.  The anesthesiologist applied the anesthesia mask and Hayden was out in 30 seconds.  I then left the operating room and began our 4 hour wait.

Hayden had 2 teeth extracted (one was abscessed) and 15 surface fillings.  We have to go back in 2 weeks and have spacers put in where the teeth were extracted.  Hayden came from the recovery room and woke up pretty quickly from the anesthesia.  He quickly asked for a drink.

We were only there about 30 minutes after he came out of the recovery room and we were on our way home.  It was strange seeing Hayden un-coordinated and needing to be carried.  If you don't already know Hayden has freak of nature gross motor skills.  The child seriously has better gross motor skills than I do.

On the way home Hayden quickly remember that I had told him we could go shopping for a new toy when he woke up for surgery.  I was surprised that he wanted to still go shopping.  We stopped at Walgreens and Hayden picked out a new toy.

For the most part Hayden was fully recovered from the oral surgery in 48 hours.  He is back to his happy self and doesn't seem to have any effects from the medications and materials they used.

If you would like to find a biological dentist near you follow this link:
http://www.iaomt.org/patients/search/index.php

When I signed the consent forms I also had a form of things I do not consent to that I signed and made it very clear with the dentist and anesthesiologist prior to the procedure.  I had a phone consultation with the anesthesiologist prior to the day of the procedure as well.  This made me feel so much more at easy because anesthesia made me super nervous.  I have heard and read about so many stories of regression following general anesthesia.

If your child has MTHFR or SOD2 here are some anesthesia guidelines that you should think about and research.


I have spent a great deal of time researching and talking with anesthesiologist about what types of anesthesia is safest for our children.

If your child has MTHFR or has not been tested for MTHFR NEVER, I mean NEVER, EVER, EVER let them use nitirous oxide on your child. Not even a small amount....don't allow it!!!! Nitrous Oxide depletes the B12/folate system. It deactivates methionine synthase, which is an enzyme that catalyzes teh conversion fo homocystine and methyletrahydrofolate. Such a deactiviation in a patient with a defect in the MTHFR gene, which is associated with diminished enzyme activity, could result in increased homocysteine levels, increased oxidative stress, and activated NMDA glutamate receptors.

Diprivan is another medication that should NOT be used. Diprivan contains soy and egg. Diprivan can exacerbate mitochondrial disease.

It is super important that our kids are well hydrated with normal saline.

Sevoflurane (inhalation induction) is safe to use. Only 2-5% is metabolized in the body.

Versed is safe to use for sedation, amnesia, and anxiety. Versed is short acting and is not heavily metabolized.

I highly recommend setting up an appointment with the anesthesiologist prior to the procedure. I also requested that NO students or first year residents work on my child.

Along with the consent forms that I signed I typed and signed a form of medications and procedures that I do NOT consent to. I made it very clear and to the point.

I also made it clear that I do not want pain medication given to my child propholatically.


No comments:

Post a Comment