Thursday, March 3, 2011

Meeting at Hayden's School

Last year this time I was on a quest to find the best school possible for my son and our family.  On my crazed quest I visited nine different preschools. I spent countless hours searching the Internet, talking to parents, making phone calls to schools, and then visiting nine different preschools.

Out of the nine I visited there was only one that I felt comfortable sending my little Hayden to.  There was one preschool that I left shaking and in tears at the horror that I had just witnessed!!!  Is it ever okay to strap a three year old to a chair because they are not doing what they are told?? I feel sick that people are okay with their autistic children being treated that way.  My heart still races thinking of this.  One of the preschool asked me if I thought of putting Hayden on behavior medication at the tender age of two and a half.  I squealed my tires getting out of that parking lot.  Okay not really, but I wanted to.

I saved the school that I felt was a top contender for my last visit.  That school was Oak Farm Montessori School in Avilla.  I honestly can not put in words what an amazing school it is and what a perfect fit it has been for our family.  Hayden is thriving and I feel as a family we are thriving.  Oak Farm has given my tools and opportunities to better myself not only as a parent, but as a person.  I work closely with his teachers and feel that we are a cohesive team striving to give Hayden the best future possible.

Hayden is doing well at school and continues to make great strides.  The problem is that they are unsure that he will be ready to move up to the next grade level next year and that he needs more than what the level he is in next year.  Which means Hayden's journey at Oak Farm may be coming to an end.  I have full faith that Hayden will be ready come fall.   I look at all that he has over come and I can't help to be completely optimistic that he can and will thrive in the Primary class.

I have monthly meetings at his school to make sure that we are on the same page.  His teachers are so proud of him.  Today I got chills as they were talking of the huge growth Hayden has made in the last several weeks.  They are as excited and proud of Hayden as I am!!!  A teacher that has been working with him even questioned his diagnosis of autism.  I must say that was music to my ears!!!   I know his diagnosis is correct, but also know that Hayden will not be autistic all his life. 

Then came the bad news..................The dean of the school does not approve of Hayden having a private aid in primary.  This is something that has never happened at Oak Farm and at this time they are not ready to implement private aids in the classroom.  I started to tear up.  I am heartbroken.   Deep down to my core I know that Oak Farm is the school for our family.  So what is next???  I am going to write a letter to the dean begging her to allow a private aid for Hayden and schedule a meeting with her.  I need to do some research and find some concrete evidence supporting Hayden having a private aid and it's effect on the whole classroom.  I also have to continue looking at schools in hopes of finding a back up plan.

Brandon, Ruby, and I visited a school in Fort Wayne this week and it was a NO!!  I have another Montessori school in Fort Wayne I need to visit.  I don't know what to think or do!!!  I wish I could just home school him, but know that Hayden needs more than what I can offer.

I can't stand not having control and not having a plan.  I have to put my faith in God and pray that he guides me down the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment