Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Up, down, and all around!!!

The last 6 weeks have been really hard on me.  Hayden emotions have been all over the place.  I have been having some major fatigue.  Brandon has been very busy painting the outside of our house, finishing up Hayden's therapy room, and painting and putting new flooring in one of his apartments. Ruby has also recently developed a serous attitude.   Hayden's volunteers have not been coming as much as they had been.  All of these things add up to one stressed out and run down Brandi.

I am happy to report that I am feeling much better about everything!!  My fatigue is improving with no help or guidance from my doctor.  I decided to go completely gluten free and change up my vitamins a little bit.  I think it is helping or at least I am feeling better :)

Hayden's emotions have seemed to calmed back to his normal self.  I have decided to maintain what we are doing and work hard to get him more hours in the therapy room.  I think we just need to stick with what we are currently doing until January and then I am going to reevaluate switching up his diet and seeing a different doctor.

 I have been reminding myself daily of just how far we have come. I see improvements in him every day.  I also keep telling myself that Hayden's recovery is a marathon and not a sprint.  Friday night he sang Happy Birthday to my Mom (it was her birthday).  He has been adding more and more words to his sentences.  He is telling me when he is sad, by saying, "I am sad."  I am getting more hugs, kisses than you would believe.  Hayden has been wanting me to hold him.  When I hold him he is relaxed and I can tell that he is enjoying his cuddle time.  In the past you could feel how tense and un-comftorable he was.  Not anymore...he loves his cuddle time with Mommy :-)  His eye contact is really improving too.  Hayden has become such a happy little boy.  He smiles and sings songs pretty much all day long.

Ruby on the other hand is developing a serious attitude!!!  What happened to my easy going sweet little girl?  She only behave naughty for me....GRRR!!  She has been hitting me, kicking me, telling me NO and saying Don't Touch Me, and refuses to go near the potty.  Ugh, I have decided this is normal and she is testing me.  I have been trying very hard to stay consistent with her.  I think it is working.  She is such my child...she looks and acts just like me. SCARY!!  When Ruby becomes a teenager I am giving her to my Mom!!

I have to give a shout out to my husband, Brandon!!  He has been working diligently to get me some help with Hayden.  He put adds on Craigslist and Care.com.  He has been screening people on the phone and arranging times to meet with people.  We have interviewed two volunteers this week (one was a dud) and have two more interviews set for next week.  The one that was not a dud that we interviewed this week is AMAZING!!  We couldn't have asked for a more qualified person.  She starts on Monday and wants to work with Hayden 6 hours a week for a year!!!  I am super excited to have her on Hayden's team.  My goal is for Hayden to have 40-60 hours a week in his therapy room.  Right now we are down to about 30 and that is with me doing 20 hours myself.

It amazes me how God provides.  Today I sold my breast pump to a lady that shared with my that she has a son with cerebral palsy.  I started talking to her about Hayden and what we are doing with him.  I shared some information about hyperbaric oxygen therapy and how it could help her son.  I told her that we could trade services...she could work with Hayden and I will let her son use Hayden's hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber.  She was ready to start scheduling time :)

Hayden's outreach from the Son-Rise Program is set for December 6th.  A teacher is coming to work with Hayden in his therapy room, answer our questions, and give us some feedback.  I can't hardly wait.  I want to make sure we are doing the program right.

The highlight of last week was the gymnastic class that I gave the kids.  Ruby and Hayden have been practicing all of their new moves.  It cracks me up to see them do "cartwheels".  They try so hard.  I did a front hand spring for the kids.....you should have seen their faces.  Yep, I know I am one cool Mommy!!



2 comments:

  1. Wow, how do you do 20 hrs. of therapy a week by yourself? How does your son handle it? Mine gets bored/unmotivated usually. I guess maybe you are doing it in short bursts then? Anyway, I enjoyed reading this and will add you to my reading list or whatever the heck you call it (I am new to this blogging thing...lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayden LOVES to be in his therapy room with me. We do two hours at a time and then take a break. Plus Hayden is 4 years old....I think it is easier to entertain them when they are young.

    ReplyDelete